Saturday, November 17, 2012

Trying to gain perspective

The soccer blog has been silent through the end of our season. Obviously. I accept full responsibility. The last week of practice I mentioned that I hadn't updated it for a while and the team was all fired up: "But you have TONS of stuff to post! We won the Conference Tournament!!"
But the thing about it was I really couldn't sift through our success and find anything to write about. Yes we won, but that information was already available as a well-written press release on the Athletic Department page. What did I have to add other than I was really super pumped about going to the NCAA Tournament? (And I was. And am)

T.R. tried to provide some facts to inspire me:
 
--as of last week we were one of the remaining 64 DIII Women's Soccer teams still playing. There are a total of 424 DIII W. Soccer programs, which is the most in any sport, any division. (There are 338 Women's Bball teams for example.)

--The reason California Lutheran University was playing in Iowa with us is that Wartburg College was the westernmost competition site in the Tournament. Most Divison III soccer teams are in the East and Midwest.

Nice facts T.R., and I appreciate the help, but there was no saving my writer's block. As a coach I was excited, nervous, and trying to focus on what we needed to do against Concordia-Moorhead. There was no space in my brain for eloquence.

Anyway, maybe in a couple weeks I will be more prepared to reflect on this season and how our kids managed to get themselves from an embarrassing 0-5 opening loss to having one of the most successful seasons in program history. Because THAT is quite a story.

But until then, check the the Athletics website for updates and nostalgic reflection. Our all-conference selections have been announced. Our awards ceremony is coming up relatively soon. And every soccer players favorite holiday (Thanksgiving--we love to eat) is right around the corner.

No comments: